Long ago, when dragons that spit lasers roamed the lands, Steve Perry rode pterodactyls made of knives through righteous lightning storms, and Nebraska wasn’t a laughable football program, two brothers were immaculately conceived in an 81 Datsun in the shadow of Sanford Stadium with one destiny: to return football commentary to its old form; obsessive, cruel, full of errors, and substance abuse and dick jokes. And there's John who's a Miami fan, so we were surprised he could even spell.

Monday, September 25, 2006

WEEK 4 in Review - The Virus

Am I the kind of person who gloats when he wins? The kind of person who kicks people when they're down? The kind of person that would piss into your gaping chest wound after I sent a 12 gauge full of buckshot into it? Ordinarily, yes, that pretty much describes me to a T. This week, though, the lesson of the day is humility, and this is the closest I've come to believing in a God in over a decade. I'm watching my back for lightning bolts this week. So here's my 10 points of the week:

1) God almighty Georgia, What. The. Fuck. Seriously. I'm in Boston so I was spared having to watch all but the final 90 seconds of this debacle, but I was about to have a coronary just watching the ESPN ticker. What happened to Stafford? Did Colorado kidnap him, bleach Kordell Stewart white and slip it past the coaches somehow? The ONLY bright spot here is that Cox looked phenomenal. Lighting up the Colorado defense is a little like the Miami Heat lighting up a WNBA team, but there's no doubt that kid pulled a rabbit-shaped miracle out of his ass on Saturday. UGA surivives, and amazingly drops only 1 spot in the standings to #10. Look for more conservative picks next week in the Ole Miss Game.

2) More miracles: BC got absolutely Flutied this week by Chuck Amato's boys down in Carolina. I watched none of this game because I was alternating between seeing if Kentucky could ever get going and seeing Sparty lay a whoopin on the Irish early, so I don't know what the hell happened except what I saw on the highlights. I said before BC tends to play down to the competition, and they did it again, and it finally bit them in the ass. I'm glad BC lost, but hate that I picked them.

3) ND and MSU. I watched the end of this, and I STILL don't know what happened. Every now and then ND seems to do this, where they pull an impossible game out through turnovers and defensive touchdowns. And I think this just solidifies my theory that MSU is controlled by someone with a button or switch somewhere who randomly pushes it to make them unstoppable or terrible. Somehow, amidst all that, the line gets lost that Brady Quinn had 5 TD to 1 INT. He looked worse than that to me, but that's what the numbers say. I'm going to beg that we never use Michigan State again, because if we do, I'm flipping a coin, and that's that.

4) South Carolina - 45, FAU - 6

5) Arkansas had no right winning that game on Saturday. That Bama kicker was 1-4 on FG attempts, including 1 in OT to win, and missed the crucial PAT that allowed Arkansas to win. I just can't see how, at the level of football Alabama plays at, they can have a guy THAT CAN MISS A PAT. Shit, one of the defensive lineman might have been able to kick that one through the uprights. Compounding this was the fact that Megadeth lead singer Dave Mustaine's illegitimate lovechild had one of the worst statistical games I've seen. He made Stafford look like Johnny Fucking Unitas. His line on the day? 7-22, 97 yds, 4.4 yards per attempt, 1TD (in OT), 3INT. That Bama kicker is going to have a hell of a rough week.

6) Ohio State and Penn State. Half the people in the country with money on this one climbed out of the noose in the last 2 minutes while the other half took their place. 2 INT returns for a touchdown in the last 2 minutes of a game should be called something more than a "backdoor cover," like a "holy fucking shit I was about to blow my head off because I bet my rent money on OSU and God reached down from heaven and thumped Morelli in the back of the head hard enough to make him deliver to cover to us." That's just a suggestion. OSU is not nearly as strong as they looked against Texas, struggling with Cincinnati last week (who gave VT a scare this week) and again against PSU. Both games look exactly the same in the box scores: OSU leads, but barely until 4th quarter when they explode for an inexplicable number of points. Iowa has a pretty explosive offense, so I'm curious to see if they let Iowa hang around long enough, because Iowa may be to far in front to catch.

7) Kentucky vs Florida. Kentucky was competitive in this game, but played traditional Kentucky football with stupid penalties, backbreaking turnovers, and about a dozen Rich Brooks hissy fits on the sideline. Chris Leak actually got booed in this one after coming in for a scorching hot Tim Tebow. Leave it to Florida fans to pull a class move like this in Leak's senior season. Tebow has one play he runs, and if he tries that against Auburn, LSU or UGA more than 2 straight times, look for him to be peering at the world through the earhole of his helmet.

8) Michigan looked solid against Wisconsin, but not overwhelming. Mike Hart is a solid back, but not the guy who can take a game over against a good defense. Chad Henne seems to make just enough of the right plays to keep his job, while Mario Manningham is emerging as the best receiver nobody is talking about. 5 TD in his last 2 games, both over 100 yd efforts. We all thought Steve Breaston was going to emerge as the next great Michigan WR, but Manningham is quickly turning into Henne's favorite target, and usually in the the end zone. That Big Blue defense is ferocious, though, and it was the defense and special teams that kept them in this one long enough to pull ahead. Wisconsin had a quick strike on the first drive, and then nothing for 58 minutes. I'm already giddy thinking about a showdown between Michigan and OSU where both are 11-0.

9) Tennessee needed 17 in the 4th quarter to pull away from a Marshall team that just ain't what they used to be. The margin was 9 for much of the second half before Tennessee finally put them away.

10) Az St. vs Cal. I didn't mean to mislead the Jeezy, I was just saying I've been to Berkeley, and that stadium doesn't seem big enough to have a home field advantage. My guess for what happened here is that the Cal players's rectums are still sore from the reaming Tedford gave them after the Tennessee debacle and they want to avoid another at all costs. They've been a team possessed since that loss, and they just took the beat down stick to Dirk's boys up in Berkeley. I was honestly set to pick Arizona State until I heard Dirk was 0-10 in the state of CA, so I figured he'd better be 1 and something before I ever pick in that state. 0-11, but I did think they'd put up more of a fight than that.

QUICK NOTES: Mississippi State gets their first W of the season 16-10 over UAB. Time to discredit UGA's shutout of UAB now. LSU and Auburn both roll over inferior opponents (Tulane and Buffalo respectively), though it took awhile for Auburn to warm up. West Virginia had their lowest rushing output in 6 games against Eastern Carolina and hold on 27-10. Slaton for Heisman? Not looking so good. USC in a dogfight with Arizona, but triumph 20-3, perhaps with the help of the "suspended" pac-10 crew officiating the game. That's right, the crew that screwed brother Bob's Sooners out of the Oregon game were back on the field for Mike Stoops and company at Arizona due to a lack of available officials. PAC-10, get your shit straight! Last one, speaking of Oklahoma, those who thought they might be distracted this week, go stick your head back up your ass. Middle Tennessee State didn't know what hit them as the Sooners serially gang raped MTS to the tune of 59-0.

So on that note, CHEER CHEER FOR OLD NOTRE DAME!

11 Comments:

Blogger Football Jesus said...

First off, i've petitioned the NCAA to have the USC/FAU game striken from the record books, and secondly...in true lee corso fashion. NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND. OSU and Michigan battling each other at 11-0 a piece? A nice thought, and something worth getting excited about...but don't forget about Ohio State's trip into Iowa next week (and not to mention...dun dun dunnnn...a road trip to East Lansing in three weeks), I wouldn't consider them a lock just yet. I wish I had seen the entire OSU game because I can't comment too much on it, but it seems to me Paterno's boys showed the world that the Buckeye train is not incapable of being slowed down and/or stopped. And Michigan gets the same backwards schedule treatment, meeting state at their home stadium and then traveling to Jopa territory the next week. I'm not completely sold on the worthiness of either of those teams. I agree Michigan's defense is tough, but their offense is shaky at best, and Ohio State can't expect Troy Smith to pull another 50 yard miracle pass like the one at Penn that finally gave them a gasp of breathing room. I'm not so sure Iowa will give Ohio the chance at game saving interceptions. I hate, hate hate hate hate HATE HATE to say this. But the only team that walked away this weekend looking convincing out of the top 10 was Auburn. FUCK.

9:41 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Even Auburn had to wait until the second half, though, against BUFFALO. If it was the Bills, I'd understand it, but not the Bulls (I think?). Everybody was sloppy this weekend, and I agree that neither OSU nor Big Blue are perfect teams, but a boy can dream....................

9:52 AM

 
Blogger Football Jesus said...

Hey Dr. Balls. I'm looking at the schedule for next week and here are my initial thoughts for the five point games, which again, was about like trying to locate the best looking turd out of a truck-stop toilet.

Alabama @ Florida
Califonia @ Oregon State
Georgia Tech @ Virginia Tech
Oregon @ Arizona St.
Ohio St. @ Iowa

If you can think of a better game, then feel free to sub it in for one of the lesser matches. I'm leaning towards Rice @ Army myself. Anyway, you guys check the schedule and let me know what you think about the games. I obviously need as much time as possible to research my picks.

4:47 PM

 
Blogger Football Jesus said...

Oh and BYU @ TCU on Friday I think it is. Could be interesting. Mormons versus' Texas Christians. I'm pretty sure I have to make a Mel Gibson joke here...

4:54 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I think the UGA and Ole Miss game is interesting (is that this week?) TCU probably destroys BYU. The only one I would pull in favor of something else is the Cal game, because Ore. St. isn't very good at all, but I'll have a look at the schedule and have something more definitive on Tuesday.

Will John be joining us this week, or weeping into his 2002 BCS championship game shirt and cursing Jim Tressel to all levels of hell?

5:07 PM

 
Blogger Football Jesus said...

WEllll the only other games I see that may be interesting are Auburn @ South Carolina with a 14 point line and Mississippi State @ LSU, and the only reason that is interesting to me is that LSU has a 31.5 line on that game. Granted, Mississippi State is horrible, but I don't know if LSU puts up 32 points on them. Their defense isn't great but it's quick. John will join us this week or die. Lucky for him, noone took a commanding point lead last week. Stupid Weis.

8:47 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Let's go with the Auburn @ South Carolina game in place of the Cal - Ore. St. game. 14 points is a strange spread for that game, even if it is in Columbia.

11:30 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Why isn't Purdue and Notre Dame on the board? They have a combined record of 7-1, and Purdue has exactly the kind of offense that gives the Domers trouble. The Auburn game is on Thursday night anyway, we can discuss that one on its own, like last week. I say we throw Purdue vs Notre Dame in the Cal vs Ore St spot. I'm almost inclined to put the Auburn game where the AZ State game is because I don't give 2 fucks about the Pac-10 outside of what USC is doing, and there's probably a near zero chance that game will be on TV anywhere for anybody to see. Thoughts?

2:39 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

We can discuss whatever games we want, but we need to pick 5 games that count for points. My choice for the 5 are:

Alabama @ Florida *(definitely picked because the Captain says so)
Notre Dame vs. Purdue (I don't know who's at home here, and at least one other person needs to speak up to pick this game)
Ga Tech @ Va Tech *(picked)
Ohio State @ Iowa *(picked)

and my fifth choice is a toss up between Auburn vs South Carolina (Thurs game) and Oregon @ Az State, mostly because I feel the rumblings of an upset in that Az State game. But as before, we can discuss whatever looks interesting, we just need to have 5 games we all choose for points.

When we get a consensus, I'll grab the lines and post them either late Wednesday or early Thursday, AND THE DEADLINE WILL BE THURSDAY NIGHT, OR AFTERNOON DEPENDING ON IF WE USE THE THURSDAY NIGHT GAME. I don't care if you hit the exact yardages each player rings up, you used your trump card by sitting out last week John.

3:42 PM

 
Blogger Football Jesus said...

What? I'm sorry I was out peeing on the ashes of John's Larry Coker bobble-head.
I like the picks as follows

Alabama @ Florida cuz i'm STILL not sold on Florida right now especially after last week and they have quite a spread to cover.

Definitely GT @ VT. No explanation needed.

Ohio State @ Iowa definitely.

I think the Oregon and Arizona St. game is worth watching considering Oregon has only got a 2 pt. line on it. I agree that that one sounds like a live wire. with my luck It'll be a blowout vs. whomever I pick.

I'll go with Purdue and Notre Dame (they're playing at dame) but that's it for dame for at least a week. I'm tired of talking about them.

Since those are seriously the only games worth shit on Saturday, pride picks go to the two Friday games, (I think they're Friday)
Auburn @ South Carolina
BYU @ TCU

Let's do this.

5:09 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

word son, and the Auburn game is Thursday. Look for the lines by 6:00 today, because I won't be near a computer to post them until noon tomorrow. I always get the lines from the same source, and never look at them until I post them, in the interest of fairness. I'll post the lines for those 7 games and for shits and giggles the line for the UGA vs. Ole Miss game (which I keep thinking is this week, but may be next week...I'll find out soon) no sooner than 3 and no later than 6 pm today.

Stay posted kids. Round 2 starts in a few hours.

7:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home